As you are considering the chance of applying for NIW, you have to do a soul-searching and ask yourself ※what kind of national interest I will generate to the US?§ The bottom line of NIW application is the importance of the interest you can generate to the US, and whether the interest you will generate outweighs the US interest in asking you to go through Labor Certification. In other words, the USCIS officers＊ job is to on the one hand weigh the US interest in protecting the US workers＊ working and salary condition, and what you will bring to the US on the other hand.
It is actually comparing orange with apple, if you think about it. But only if you convince the USCIS officer the interest you generate carrying more weight can you then get approval.
So, think hard about ※national interest§. But, what national interest?
- If you are in pharmaceutical research, will you improve the health condition of the US patients, reduce the drug cost, or help breaking through the cure for certain disease?
- Medical researchers, how much pain you reduce to the patients and as such enhance the productivity of corporate America? Or if you improve certain gadget used in surgery, how much time you have saved the surgeon in an operation?
- If you are a computer researcher, maybe your research can be used to enhance computer operation, which can be translated into efficiency in security check, financial calculation (or any other application) that can be a great help to the business and the national economy.
- If you are a rocket scientist, tell us your research can help NASA reduce its operating budget, or maybe your research can help the astronaut maintain better balance while they are walking in space.
- Food scientists, please, we all need your help in preventing the E coli pollution to spinach and green lettuce, or better detecting the salmonella-contaminated beef.
- Energy people always have easier time proving the national interest they generate as the skyrocketing gas price is always a menace hanging over our head.
- Biologists, can you help us save the wetland near Disneyland, Florida, or the Mexican Gulf?
- Are you researching insects? You probably can reduce the amount of money people spent on pesticide, even raise the productivity of paddy field or fruit plants.
I can go on and on for days with an endless list like this, but you don＊t need to see all of them because all you need to do is to prove your point. Our job, among others, is to help you articulate your point. Now, what＊s in your case?